The Open Air Museum in Bad Zwischenahn consists of a total of 14 houses and annexes. The Ammerland Farmhouse is at the core of the arrangement.
The premises are embraced to the west by the Aue stream coming from Bad Zwischenahner Meer, and to the east by the adjacent farm forest. The southern banks of Bad Zwischenahner Meer mark the natural border of the areal, which therefore integrates the farmstead harmonically into the park region.
At the beginning of 1900, farsighted members of an association, formerly named as ‘Beautification Association of Bad Zwischenahn’ had the idea of erecting an original farmhouse for the coming generations. By this, they preserved farming- and cultural life of the time around 1700.
The start of this project was in October 1909, when two parts of farmhouses from the Ammerland Region, dating back to 1695, were acquired. In June 1910, the building was completed and thus the inauguration of the Open Air Museum.