The St. Johannes Church was first mentioned in 1124
The oldest landmark of Bad Zwischenahn is the Lutheran parish church ‘St John the Baptist’ at the Brink, and was first mentioned in 1124.
For hundreds of years, this old church has been characterizing the southern bank of the Bad Zwischenahner Meer, and still shapes the core of various farming communities from which clerical ways lead the church.
Generations of inhabitants of Bad Zwischenahn came together for services, weddings, christenings and funerals, as well as spiritual exchanges with god.
Already the first view at the interesting assembly of the church and its clock tower reveals that the Middle Aged building has been converted several times. Especially the barely carved fieldstone, in comparison to the latter bake stone construction, emphasizes the early historical origin in the 12th century.
The oak made winged altar dates back to the years 1520/1525, probably from the Osnabrück area. The pulpit was crafted by Tonnies Mahler from Leer in 1653, a scholar of Ludwig Muenstermann. In 1662, the gallery was integrated and colorfully painted by Dierk Krueger from Elmendorf in 1745. The fresco of the Last Judgement above the altar in the choir vault was made in 1512. For centuries, this artwork was covered with white paint bevor it was unveiled and restored by church painter Wilhelm Morisse in 1904.